- The Aryans gave to India, Sanskrit language which served as the mother language for many regional languages. Sanskrit, thus, became a unifying force in the sub-continent.
- The Vedic period is known for its spiritual and intellectual attainments. The philosophy of dharma and karma, the concept of maya and the transmigration of the soul, have foundations in the Vedas.
- The philosophy of the Vedas and the Upanishads has influenced the great thinkers in India.
- The Aryans were an agrarian society who cleared forests and cultivated land. Their society gradually developed into powerful kingdoms with proper political setup.
- The Vedas and the Upanishads became the basis for the present day Hindu religion. With the passage of time gods of the early Vedic age like Indra, Varuna and Surya receded into the background and the new gods like Vishnu, Ram and Krishna became prominent in the later Vedic period.
- The caste system too had its origin in the Vedic literature.
- The Bhagwat Gita has become a very popular sacred book among the masses and Vedic hymns are chanted at Hindu ceremonies connected with Birth, Marriage and death.
next page >>